Monday, January 24, 2011

2011.025 "The Beauty Inside"

Real beauty is on the inside. Isn't that what we've always been told? I wonder how many of you, my dear friends, have been judged not by the beauty that lies inside you but by what is seen from the outside?

This evening I joined my son in a meeting of an anti-bullying group at his middle school. The objective is to keep our kids safe from bullying, dating violence and dangerous relationships - even friendships. When first he told me of this group I immediately felt negative about him participating. It felt like someones social agenda being pushed and yet another push for total equality and tolerance. Please don't misunderstand me. I believe in peace between people of all colors, creeds, and persuasions. What I don't believe in is some out of touch group of policy-makers forcing their agenda in the name of such things. I believe simply in the golden rule and that we should all live by the wisdom it offers.

Treat others as you want to be treated.

After some time and hearing the positive messages of this group my mind was changed. I believe they are truly attempting to make a difference and I applaud their efforts.

This evening as I sat in that meeting I realized that maybe it wasn't so much me bristling up at the idea of a secret social agenda but rather old feelings from when I was myself a victim of cruel bullying as a junior high and high school student. I was shy, geeky, in band and orchestra and on the debate team. I was a softball player and a swimmer and well liked by all of my teachers. I was always on the honor roll and never went to parties. I listened to new wave and punk music and dressed like a character from the movie Pretty in Pink. I wasn't popular and I wasn't a cheerleader. Ok I was a cheerleader for half a year as a junior because I thought maybe it would make a difference in how my peers treated me but was even picked on at that level by other cheerleaders who didn't think I belonged in their group until I quit the squad.

Today's blog piece is reflective of my feelings about being bullied and overlooked because I didn't quite fit in. It's pale and flat on the outside. Not ugly, just not flashy or brilliantly beautiful. It's simple. As you look deeper and deeper into the center you see the true beauty that lies within.


The Beauty Inside - 12x12 compound digipaint


Don't overlook or mistreat people because they may not fit your idea of beautiful. Live by the golden rule. Teach your children to live by its wisdom. Say hello to strangers and don't be afraid to greet the world with a smile. You never know what beauty may be lying just below the surface of each face you greet.

~ Lisa


You can purchase any of these blog pieces printed on canvas and stretched over a 1/4" gallery frame through my new website: http://www.lisacantrell.com/


If you would prefer I also offer printing that is wood mounted and smooth matte laminated. You can order these from my ArtFire studio page online at:  http://www.artfire.com/users/LisaCantrell


You are also invited to joing me on facebook :www.facebook.com/lisacantrellart

3 comments:

  1. Lisa--
    I love these digital paintings that come from your emotional journey. They are beautiful because they come from your heart. I want to share this quote with you:
    "The most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss, and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity, and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, and a deep loving concern. Beautiful people do not just happen."

    Elizabeth Kubler Ross

    ReplyDelete
  2. A beautiful piece and a wonderful story of which I can relate to from my own personal experiences. I thought of my son also as I read your piece. To this day he feels like an outcast, if he could just find an avenue of expression such as you have found I think it would help him greatly. Today's world is even more cruel than the one I grew up in. There seems to be no tolerance for those of us who do not fit into the "perfect" mold. Hopefully, through people with strength like you show in your writings, the tide will turn. I am so enjoying your blog. I like all your pieces but this one really speaks to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So many people can identify with this. And I think that even those "perfect" people are masquerading around, hiding something inside that they don't know what to do with because it doesn't "fit in."

    You can really tell in these past few that you've been pouring your soul into them. Both visually pleasing and thought-provoking. I can't wait to see what you will be creating in just a few months.

    ReplyDelete