Monday, January 10, 2011

2011.010 "Beauty for Ashes"

This morning I step aside from my usual silliness and whimsy for some gentle reflection.

A little retrospective: To say that 2009 was a year of great heartache and loss for my family is completely insufficient for the difficulties we endured. So great was our pain that at times it was hard to just breathe; let alone put one foot in front of the other and move forward. Even with only the tiniest of gains in recovery we did survive and as we entered 2010 it promised, if nothing else, to be a year of greater peace and healing. That's exactly what it was too. 365 days of quiet, rest, peace and restoration. There were days when I wondered if we'd ever start to gain ground again but most of the time it was a blessing to just rest and wait for the things to come.

That brings me to 2011 and how, despite it being only the second full week of the year, already there have been some amazing things that have happened. I look back over the past 18 months and see quite clearly the path my little family and I have been walking. We climbed a treacherous mountain and rested in a peaceful valley. Now, it seems, it is at last time for new adventures.

These experiences remind me of the bible passage in Isaiah 61 that says he will give beauty for ashes. My life and the lives of my children were shaken and burned down to the ground. It would have been easy to have given up and stayed there among the ashes of that dark, cold place and believe it would never get any better. However we are not weak in faith, spirit, or heart so we waited patiently knowing we would see brighter days.

Thinking about this journey inspired today's piece which I have named "Beauty for Ashes".


Beauty for Ashes - 12x12 digipaint
Never give up...never give in!

~ Lisa

You can purchase any of these blog pieces printed on canvas and stretched over a 1/4" gallery frame through my new website: http://www.lisacantrell.com/

If you would prefer I also offer printing that is wood mounted and smooth matte laminated. You can order these from my ArtFire studio page online at:  http://www.artfire.com/users/LisaCantrell

You are also invited to joing me on facebook :www.facebook.com/lisacantrellart

2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful story--I have always loved the beauty for ashes passage. Thank you for sharing. It reminded me of when my life was shaken and burned down to the ground and someone gave me the song by Yolanda Adams. Listen to it on You Tube--it will inspire you.

    I hope that one day this year (or you could do an entire month) you will paint a cross. Just an idea.
    Bless you today!

    NEVER GIVE UP
    'Visions that can change the world trapped inside an ordinary girl
    She looks just like me too afraid to dream out loud
    And though it’s simple your idea, it won’t make sense to everybody
    You need courage now If you're gonna persevere

    To fulfill divine purpose, you gotta answer when you're called
    So don't be afraid to face the world against all odds

    Keep the dream alive don't let it die
    If something deep inside keeps inspiring you to try, don't stop
    And never give up, don't ever give up on you
    Don't give up

    Every victory comes in time, work today to change tomorrow
    It gets easier, who’s to say that you can’t fly
    Every step you take you get, closer to your destination
    You can feel it now, don’t you know you're almost there?

    To fulfill divine purpose, you gotta answer when you're called
    So don't be afraid to face the world against all odds

    Keep the dream alive don't let it die
    If something deep inside keeps inspiring you to try, don't stop
    And never give up, don't ever give up on you

    Sometimes life can place a stumbling block in your way
    But you're gotta keep the faith, bring what's deep inside your heart
    to the light
    And never give up Don't ever give up on you

    Who holds the pieces to complete the puzzle?
    The answer that can solve a mystery
    The key that can unlock your understanding
    It's all inside of you, you have everything you need yeahhhh

    Sooooo, keep the dream alive don't let it die
    If something deep inside, keeps inspiring you to try don't stop
    And never give up, don't ever give up on you

    Sometimes life can place a stumbling block in your way
    But you're gotta keep the faith, bring what's deep inside your heart yeah your
    heart to the light
    And never give up Don't ever give up on you

    Nooo don’t give up,
    No, no, no, no don’t give up
    Oh, no, no, no, no don't...give...up"

    ReplyDelete
  2. To both Lisa and Julie, thanks for sharing your stories. I copied and sent both to a very special person in my life who needs inspirtation at this point in their life. God sends us messages when we need them most. I hope yours helps my friend. I like the painting and the poem so much and I enjoy both of your blogs.

    ReplyDelete